Sunday, April 19, 2015

College: Grounded in My Faith

Here's the thing... I LOVE church, but I suck at getting there.

Last week was the first time I'd been to church in 2 and a half months.

Sorry, Mom.

I laughed to myself as the first counselor in the YSA bishopric approached me before Sunday school and asked me to speak TODAY on the subject of repentance. Of coarse I accepted the invitation whole heartedly. I believe our Heavenly Father has an incredible sense of humor.

The summer before senior year of high school was when I committed to REALLY finding my faith. Here's the story:

The majority of my teenage years (junior high/high school because I'm 19 lol) I was going through the motions of the gospel. I remember people telling me how much they looked up to me for my testimony in the gospel... little did they know there wasn't much there. Don't get me wrong, I knew the LDS church was true, it made sense to me. EFY, Girl's Camp, and Youth Conference strengthened my testimony beyond measure, but I personally NEVER found out for myself.
I sat in church on fast sunday (probably scrolling through Twitter on my phone (Sorry, Mom)) and I had an impression and I HEARD the words, "read the Book of Mormon." I heard it again three times... Allie, read the Book of Mormon. This was probably one of the first spiritual impressions I'd had in a long time...

If this impression was from the Lord, I was going to be obedient. I truly believe the Lord was totally mindful of where I'd be the following year; Arkansas.

I started 1st Nephi. Once I began, I couldn't stop. I read hours upon hours, marking scriptures, taking notes, and praying for guidance. I learned so much.

In 6 days I read the Book of Mormon cover to cover. Never in my life had I ever felt my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ's love more abounding than during those sweet hours of searching, pondering, and praying.

Moroni 10:4-5, most commonly known as "Moroni's Book of Mormon Promise" reads, "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that you would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true, and if ye ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."

Well, Heavenly Father, I have a strong desire to know if the Book of Mormon is Your word.

That night, I went to bed early and prayed for knowledge.

I hadn't prayed to ask my Heavenly Father for anything in so long... this was the first sincere prayed I had spoken in, probably, months.

Now, I was expecting some huge miraculous feeling of love and peace and comfort and reassurance once I closed my prayer...but nothing came. I fell asleep.

At around 3 in the morning, I woke up to a DISTINCT voice... "The Book of Mormon is true" 

I can testify that Heavenly Father truly answers prayers.

PEOPLE, THE BOOK OF MORMON IS TRUE! I CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGH.

Okay, so, senior year arrived and I was determined to read the BOM 5 more times before graduation. Everyone thought I was crazy, but I couldn't explain how much I LOVE this sacred book!  I carried a pocket sized BOM everywhere I went, seriously, EVERYWHERE! I wanted to be the best example of Christ I could.

Fast forward a few months, I was accepted to the University of Arkansas.

So excited about this adventure that lied ahead of me, I was oblivious to how much The Lord was preparing me for the greatest blessing/trial I have ever faced.

My Heavenly Father KNEW I was going to need a deep testimony of the Book of Mormon, my Savior Jesus Christ, and the LDS church if I was going to survive all the persecution and hate I've received during my freshman year here at the U of A.

That's correct. Persecution and hate for being "a Mormon."

But guess what? Because of the foundation I have built upon Christ, those people couldn't/can't tear me down.

I'm told that I'm not a Christian and that I worship Joseph Smith and that I belong to a satanic cult and I'm being brainwashed. No matter how many times I receive hate...I can only feel sad for those people who don't realize how HAPPY I am because of my beliefs!

Two weeks ago I concluded that my happiness solely comes from my Savior Jesus Christ, The Book of Mormon, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I am happy. So so so happy.

My testimony isn't anything extravagant. I'm still going through the conversion process, but I'm trusting in Christ to lead me to the truth.

While in college, I've sucked at getting to church...absolutely sucked. Sometimes I don't read my scriptures as frequently as I should, and I definitely use "vain repetitions" when I pray. However, I'm still trying. I want to become better. I desire to find more truth and happiness.

And that's what I love about the LDS church; it's all about becoming a better person and preparing ourselves for eternity with a loving Heavenly Father.

My continuous relationship with my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ is what keeps me grounded in my life, in school, in relationships with my friends and family. While it's been a battle to keep my faith, I can't explain the amounts of blessings I have received from obeying God's word.

The Book of Mormon is true. The bible is the word of God. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. Families can be together for eternity. Heavenly Father loves each of us so immensely and is our biggest supporter. Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, I believe that with my whole heart. Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. He has a plan for each of us. Remember he loves you so so so much.

So what I'm trying to say is, if you haven't been to church in a while, if you haven't been reading your scriptures, if you haven't been praying, it's okay. Change your habits. It's the little things like these basic principles that keep us grounded in faith. Begin to partake of the goodness our Heavenly Father has so generously blessed us with. Partake of Christ's gospel.

Whoever is reading this post, if you don't have a Book of Mormon you can request a free one here. I challenge you to read the Book of Mormon and ask God if the book is true. You can go around and ask people their opinion, but you'll never know for YOURSELF. Find the truth in this sacred book. And if you have the Book of Mormon, I challenge you to open the pages right now and partake of the goodness.






1 comment:

  1. Very powerful, Allie! So proud of the outstanding young woman you are. Thanks for sharing your testimony!

    ReplyDelete