Wednesday, February 10, 2016

In the Kitchen


 1. Cut the ends off your squash, cut in half, and scoop out the guts!


2. Use olive oil to brush on your squash and add salt and pepper (I just sprinkle a bit of each)


3. Chop peppers into slices (This is how I prefer mine)



4. Bake squash at 375 degrees faced DOWN on a cooking sheet--after 40 minutes, pierce the outside with the fork and make sure it's soft, then let it cook for another 5-10 minutes


 5. Once it's cooled down a bit, take a fork and scoop from the outside in


6. Add cooked chicken to a large pan and cook on medium-high until it's cooked all the way through. I add some more salt and pepper at this stage too. After the chicken is cooked, add your peppers and mix them together


7. Okay my favorite thing about spinach is that when it's cooked it shrivels up so it doesn't take up that much space! Add 2-3 cups of spinach to your pan and let it sit until it starts shriveling (toss all the ingredients around so it goes a bit faster)






8. Once your spinach is all little and shriveled, add your squash! I add a little more salt and pepper and this point too. Not too much at any of the stages!


So basically I've come to the conclusion that since I'm not in Arkansas anymore, work full time, and go to school full time, I have like ZERO TIME for anything fun (aka I don't take any pictures aka I don't blog anymore aka my blog hasn't been updated since like, December). BUUUUTTT!!!! I have been cooking a lot lately because I don't want to go out to eat everyday--I'm usually not home for lunch or dinner #toobusy. So, I think my new thing is gonna be posting recipes that are my fave :)
All my college friends know how much I loved to cook and bake when living in my own apartment! Major lol though because I never had a recipe and my friends were like "THIS IS SO GOOD! I NEED THE RECIPE!!!!" and then my response would be "Lol i just put stuff together and it tastes good??" But thats honestly my thing!!!! I can follow a recipe, but lately I've enjoyed experimenting with different fruits, veggies, salads, and proteins!
I made this dish over the weekend because we had leftover spaghetti squash from dinner a previous night and Sprout's had red peppers (one of my faves!) on sale!

So here's what I use:

1 Spaghetti squash
1-2 Red peppers (depending on how much you love them (I used 2))
1 small Chicken breast, sliced into thin pieces (you can cube the chicken or use shredded)
2-3 cups Spinach
1 tbsp oil (canola, olive, coconut, whatever you like) to brush on your spaghetti squash
Some salt
Some pepper
Any other spices you might like
(Honestly, with spices, I just add a little here and there until I think it looks good! I honestly feel like I'm so used to adding my own spices so I know when I've added the right amount.

I included the recipe steps in the pictures shown above!

This recipe will give me about 3-4 lunches for my week :)

This recipe is SUPER easy and you can get a TON of veggies! Other vegetables I've thought of adding are: orange & yellow peppers, brussels sprouts, zucchini. You can really do anything :)

Also, if you're a vegetarian, you can TOTALLY take out the chicken and add as many more veggies as you want! It would also be great with shrimp :)

1 comment:

  1. Impressive! Thinking sauteed onions might be good, too. Love squash...almost any kind. This dish looks pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete